Author Topic: HDMI connection - not quite there yet  (Read 2574 times)

Offline manalishi

• View Profile
HDMI connection - not quite there yet
« on: June 26, 2017, 07:25:12 am »
OK, this one's not quite a 'mod' as it doesn't require any physical alteration of the MV.

I guess that a lot of us use the VGA out hooked up to old-style LCD monitors. My MV-8800 works well enough like that, but I've got a cunning plan to plug it into a bigger, newer monitor via the more modern HDMI standard. So I'm using one of these widgts:

***oversize pic edited out, will add a smaller one ASAP***

And... it doesn't work. Yet. Although it works just fine with my notebook PC's VGA out and the Roland VS-2480's VGA out. Both of those running into a current (2016) LG monitor. After a bit of headscratching I compared the VGA schematics for the MV and VS, and I see that there are a couple of extra connections used on the MV's VGA output. These are the data lines that were designed to allow VGA hosts and monitors to communicate.

Maybe the voltages/data on these lines (not present on the VS) is confusing the converter widget, or vice versa? So I'll do a bit of minor hacking this week and see if I can fool whichever device is getting in the way.

More to come...
« Last Edit: June 30, 2017, 06:35:37 am by manalishi »

Offline vega23

• View Profile
Re: HDMI connection - not quite there yet
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2017, 11:30:19 am »
A cunning plan eh?

<br />You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login<br /><br />You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login<br />

Offline manalishi

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2017, 06:41:46 am »
So, no final answer just yet, but... I did find this page - You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login - which brings together several of the DIY VGA mods that people have done over the years. And that shows that the two monitor ID/comms lines are used in the MV (but not in the VS-2480).

I could - as a first best-guess - just snip the wires for the relevant pins and see if that works. But I'm trying to be non-destructive on the MV's original wiring. So I'm just waiting for the arrival of a little widget that will allow me to interrupt these pins' onwards connection to the VGA-to-HDMI converter.

Offline hangnef

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2019, 06:12:52 am »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
So, no final answer just yet, but... I did find this page - You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login - which brings together several of the DIY VGA mods that people have done over the years. And that shows that the two monitor ID/comms lines are used in the MV (but not in the VS-2480).

I could - as a first best-guess - just snip the wires for the relevant pins and see if that works. But I'm trying to be non-destructive on the MV's original wiring. So I'm just waiting for the arrival of a little widget that will allow me to interrupt these pins' onwards connection to the VGA-to-HDMI converter.

This is a very old post, but I'm hoping maybe the original poster can give us an update.  I'm having issues w/ the VGA out on my LG monitor (wavy, squiggles, and distortion) and I was going to disconnect those data lines.

Offline DJFLEX-mk2

• Roland MV-8800 Production Studio w/Roland MV8-OP1
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/djflexmk2
Giveet 1080P DVI to VGA/VGA to HDMI Converter Adapter:
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2019, 06:57:20 pm »
Giveet 1080P DVI to VGA/VGA to HDMI Converter Adapter:
WEB LINK: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

*POSTED ALSO AT - (Roland MV-8800 Group Facebook)

« Last Edit: August 18, 2019, 11:07:59 pm by DJFLEX-mk2 »
Roland MMP-2 Mic Modeling Preamp 24-bit/96kHz
Roland MC-909 sampling groovebox OS: v1.23, w/SRX-05 Supreme Dance Expansion Board Card
Roland MV-8800 Production Studio OS: v1.01, w/MV8-OP1(Audio I/O Expansion Card Module)
Roland DS-90A 24-BIT DIGITAL Bi-AMP MONITOR
"PLANET ROCK! ~ yO gEt FuNkY"