Author Topic: IDE CF card reader and 120mb/s UDMA7 64gb card install - and subsequent issues  (Read 3438 times)

Offline vega23

• View Profile
Hi all

I have just finished replacing the mechanical hdd for a bootable cf card adaptor and sandisk 64gb card.. copied all the contents of the old hdd ... The MV is now back up and running but i have noticed a couple of issues.. somehow a folder marked "samples" didnt get copied over, not a big problem, but cant figure out why. Mostly i have noticed a modest increase in speed, but it hasnt exactly transformed the old girl...

The biggest worry is that during the first studio session while i was groovin around the studio  ::), messing with some different swing template settings on different drum tracks, the MV froze.. the loop kept on playing, the mouse would move around the screen, the sliders faded tracks, but i could not stop play, save, play pads etc etc, most of it was unresponsive, and i ended up having to switch off at the back and reboot, losing the project... Has this happened to anyone else?, as in 4ish years of intermittent use I have never had it freeze before..

Offline Tresequisovahed

• View Profile
Hi, it happened to me 2- 3 times on MV8000 and the stock 40GB HD. Mouse froze and nothing responded though. Now my routine is to save frequently things while creating, but it's been a looong time since it happened.

.. copied all the contents of the old hdd ...
You know you can count on our compassion, we must show solidarity for those moments.  :) Just went thru this the last 2 nights.

What hardware did you use for the conversion ?

Offline vega23

• View Profile
I just plugged the 40gb hdd into a usb caddy and copied all contents to a folder on my desktop.. put the cf card and adaptor card in the mv to format (i heard it was standard FAT32, but thought that an MV format procedure would be most agreeable to the system..) then whipped the cf card out of the adaptor and into a usb card reader and transfered the files across

Offline vega23

• View Profile
I will post the details of the card adaptor etc over the weekend if anyone is interested... and maybe even a pic of my highly technical mounting system  ::)

Offline vega23

• View Profile
Update - I just read on roland clan about an old problem that conecthink had.. now i think my freeze up was due to the same... I had midi going into Novation BS2 and back out to the MV just like he did on his post (also BS2) both suffered lock ups.. I usually use a separate midi controller keyboard.......

Offline kalpkiavatara

• View Profile
Hi, so what about that CF card reader solution? Does it work at last?
I did the same on a Yamaha A5000 with no problema... Now waiting to get my MV8800 just thinking to do the same...
Mv8800, SY99, Supernova, EMU MP7, Zoom RT323, MI Shruthi.

Offline manalishi

• View Profile
Also interested here. I did the SSD upgrade, but a CF should be easier to back up to PC.

Offline chino

• View Profile
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Also interested here. I did the SSD upgrade, but a CF should be easier to back up to PC.

I upgraded my HD to a CF card reader with a micro sd adapter. It works GREAT!!

Offline vega23

• View Profile
Yep working fine here too.

Offline GawidWill

• View Profile

Replaced Cd drive with IDE CF card reader
« Last Edit: October 22, 2019, 08:50:19 am by GawidWill »

Offline Roger, the MIDI Maniac

• MIDI IN - MIDI OUT
    • View Profile
    • TheMIDImaniac

Replaced Cd drive with IDE CF card reader

Thanks for sharing my vid about this modification.
You can even hot-swap the CF card -
&t=56s

Sidenote is that I didn't replace the CD-drive. I only used the opening of the CD-drive. The drive is still inside the MV otherwise the MV will not start.

Anyway, a great way for fast file-swapping.

Grtzzz.
Roger
Grtzzz,
Roger, the MIDI maniac
YT: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
mail: Roger@themidimaniac.com
Web: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline GawidWill

• View Profile
Thanks for the side note i plan on doing the Mod after i finish up my Asr10 & Mirage.

Offline Seon

• View Profile
What a great news ! Thanks Roger !

Offline JohnDetroit

• View Profile
MV Nation -

Please check out my latest post for another look at adding Compact Flash drive to MV.

MV-8800 Modification - Removable Compact Flash drive w/ machined case opening

JD

Offline Roger, the MIDI Maniac

• MIDI IN - MIDI OUT
    • View Profile
    • TheMIDImaniac
Very, very, very nice!
Good job!
Grtzzz,
Roger, the MIDI maniac
YT: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login