Author Topic: Audio Phrase Volume Decreasing or Not Playing When Looping (Sometimes)  (Read 2037 times)

Offline 40 Thieves

• View Profile
Hello, all. This just started happening to me this last week. On one of my newest songs in one project, when the MV loops, sometimes it won't play an audio phrase or two. On another song in a different project, when it loops, or even gets to a new audio phrase, sometimes it plays the audio phrase a lot lower. It only does this one track at a time. Eventually after a couple loops, it starts playing them normally on both songs at least. Has anyone else ran into this and found a solution?

Hopefully this won't occur in Mixdown mode. I have an MV8000 by the way.

I am running out of storage space on the hard disk so maybe that is why?

Offline hangnef

• View Profile
I wouldn't expect disk space to be the issue.  Until you save the project, everything is done in RAM.  Sounds like a bug.

Offline 40 Thieves

• View Profile
Thanks. Might have to open it up and hit it with the bug spray aka the dust-off. It's somehow killed the bugs I got recently in my synths.

Offline conecthink

• View Profile
i had a weird quirk with an audiophrase recently. its in one project and i couldnt reproduce it on other projects

the audio phrase was bpm synced, it was a small piece selected with too high a base note so the bpm goes ***.** and i think it had a 4/16 time signature..(although the effect stayed when i changed back to 4/4) when i clicked that audio phrase the whole song slowed down! kinda cool, certainly if you could use it as an event trigger to change tempo. i copied/paste that pad a couple times and it worked on every subsequent pad...

in retrospect i should've checked if i could throw that audiophrase in the sequencer and if it changed song bpm automatically. i assumed it did. or if it triggered effects too. i kinda forgot about it...

it might just be a bug too though. seemed to halve the speed or something. i couldn't really find out what made it tick to make it do different speeds and i forgot which project.   

Offline conecthink

• View Profile
for your problem... you have a glitchy fader perhaps? i have a bunch of those....i always have the faders completely down when i start the mv now so they dont activate and screw with the volume.

it doesnt quite follow then that its only a couple projects but you never know.. .

Offline 40 Thieves

• View Profile
Yeah I have glitchy faders too. I checked if it was that but it isn't cuz that's been a problem too and it's an easy fix. This machine is like 20 years old by now which is a trip and my worst fear is it crashing or losing samples/audio phrases. Back up your projects, everyone out there!

I usually don't back up a project until after I feel I'm not gonna record any new sounds but that might have to change. Especially on projects I am working on with other people. I've only lost all samples on two projects about 10 years ago and I didn't back them up beforehand. That was an ugly feeling.

It would be nice to figure out all these quirks. Another quirk is that some masters or mixdowns won't play from the MV off the audio files list but if I download them to my computer, they play on mp3. I have deleted some mixdowns and masters and more of them on the list will play that didn't before straight from the MV. That's what lead me to believe this may be a memory issue.

Offline conecthink

• View Profile
i never had a catastrophic failure but that 40gb disk is probably in there for 20 years too. thats a big weak point right there.. but i aint sweating it. ive seen slow acces when i click import when a project is playing or example. it happened occasionally... and very rarely the MV, (less than 5 times in years) actually froze momentarily in that exact situation.. music still playing but unresponsive.

ive seen hickups, in previewing from the sample manager too when the beat is playing.

usually i just save the project when i perceive a quirk like that and initialise the mv, run the dimm diag and pretend that i did something. although, the thing that happened doesn't happen again actually after doing that.

Offline 40 Thieves

• View Profile
Thanks for the tip I will try that. When you say initialize the MV, what exactly do you mean? I have been in the dimm diag screen before but is there anything else you mean by initializing it?

Offline 40 Thieves

• View Profile
Nevermind. It's all on the system information screen. It seems to have got rid of the bug now. Thanks.

By the way, I have also had the MV freeze, not responsive, yet still playing music, while playing songs that had 8 audio tracks and a bunch of midi tracks running. This used to occur quite a bit back in the day but since I've put in the 512mb RAM and updated to version 3.54, it has not done that since.

Offline X2Zero

• View Profile
The only time tracks don't play when looping in my experience is when MV's polyphony is exceeded.

Offline 40 Thieves

• View Profile
Thank you all for your assistance. The problem indeed was the polyphony. I was running some chords using the Synth Patch called Tron Choir1f with midi and that was causing the audio phrases to come in at a very decreased volume. Recording a resample mix onto an audio track of the midi choir sounds fixed it.