Author Topic: Saving on the MV  (Read 2611 times)

Offline KobainOSP

• View Profile
Saving on the MV
« on: January 23, 2020, 09:29:41 pm »
When I save a project on the Mv8800 it shows all this...<br />You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login<br /><br />You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login<br /><br />You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login<br /><br />You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login<br /><br />You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login<br /><br />You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login<br />

I only made 1 pattern in pattern mode. How did it save all these songs with 16KB and all these patches with these small files? Is this normal??

Offline Soul One

• Global Moderator
  • SON OF AUTUMN
    • View Profile
    • Website
Re: Saving on the MV
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2020, 02:10:51 am »
Keep calm and carry on diggin'

Offline hangnef

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2020, 08:06:06 am »
Yeah, the entire project (as if maxed out) is always saved.  It's an odd choice, and slows things down a bit (something I'm trying to improve).  The unused files are empty placeholders, but they are still there.

Offline keefaz

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2020, 09:53:05 am »
I don't know what the Roland designers were thinking with this files structure.

With all these songs folders each containing patches, FX, Master FX data files, it seems for them a project is a full album

Offline KobainOSP

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2020, 03:18:25 pm »
Coo coo, just making sure that I’m saving my project correctly. Glad I’m not the only one. I know these files are only 16kbs each, but there’s a lot of them! Lol

Offline hangnef

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2020, 09:11:36 am »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Coo coo, just making sure that I’m saving my project correctly. Glad I’m not the only one. I know these files are only 16kbs each, but there’s a lot of them! Lol

Yes, there are a lot, and having all of them slows things down.  I think Roland did it this way so that they could load what amounts to an entire and fully loaded project into RAM so operations would be fast.  What's odd is, things like adding a new song, etc aren't in the performance path (i.e. you wouldn't do this while recording, etc).  So, I'm still confused on the choice to do this.

Hopefully what I'm working on will speed things up, and as far as the songs, the end result will only be files on disk which are actually used in the project.  So, if you have 2 songs, there will only be files related to those 2 songs.