Author Topic: Do the MFX suck ass?  (Read 4634 times)

Offline keefaz

• View Profile
Re: Do the MFX suck ass?
« Reply #30 on: February 16, 2020, 05:37:16 pm »
I like the controller MFX knob data idea, just create MFX track and create control change data events in time just before audio events.
This way no need to slice anything, also it's always possible to change control value to modify the filter step etc..

Offline Waxdat

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 16, 2020, 05:46:19 pm »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Ok, I mean slicing an audio phrase on the sequencer page, making tiny cuts to simulate slicing, creating independent sections that way then adjusting filter to each individually within their sample parameter pages. Something or other about creating independent audio clips? It seems like that sort of workflow would be easier than the one you are describing, editing a sample within the sample edit parameters, auto chopping or slicing or whatever to simulate a step filter pattern.
Am I wrong in thinking this is possible?

Audio phrases just have BPM sync no filters. That is for the midi patch section.

Offline widdly

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 16, 2020, 08:18:12 pm »
Run an audio phrase through the synth in MFX.  Turn off the oscillators and turn up the Audio in.  Then you can do tempo synced stepped filter or ring mod by midi controlling the MFX synth.

Offline Waxdat

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 17, 2020, 10:11:25 am »
Exactly, you can even chop this way. There are a lot of tricks you can do running thru the bass synth.  I haven’t done them I awhile. Was even gonna do a video on it but I forgot so much having not done it in so long.

Offline SMUDGE

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 17, 2020, 10:20:20 am »
Exactly, you can even chop this way.

How so?

Offline Waxdat

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 17, 2020, 02:07:39 pm »
Not exactly chop. But make it sound so. Tempo sync and some other things that I don’t remember off the dome. I would have to go in and play around with the settings.

Offline SMUDGE

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 17, 2020, 05:54:17 pm »
Not exactly chop. But make it sound so. Tempo sync and some other things that I don’t remember off the dome. I would have to go in and play around with the settings.
Are you talking about a way to make a sample sound as if it has been sliced and played back in a jumbled manner as you would if you had auto chopped it, converted it to a patch and recorded it back in out of sequence with the pads?

Offline Waxdat

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 17, 2020, 09:14:11 pm »
No. Not really but there is a way to do that.

Offline SMUDGE

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 18, 2020, 05:12:14 pm »
Exactly, you can even chop this way.

?

Offline Waxdat

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 18, 2020, 08:46:58 pm »
It’s hard to explain. It’s just something you are gonna have to go in and play with.

Offline SMUDGE

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 19, 2020, 02:58:38 am »
It’s hard to explain. It’s just something you are gonna have to go in and play with.

All I get so far is the sound of the MFX sucking ass.

Offline Waxdat

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 19, 2020, 04:28:12 am »
😂 keep at it.

Offline SMUDGE

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 19, 2020, 03:55:27 pm »
This at least may be helpful to a developer like Hangnef, and anyone else hitting the brick wall with their MV in standalone. Obviously not Waxdat since apparently he can squeeze unicorn jizz out of his MV.

Just my opinions obviously. Thanks for reading if you give a shit about such things.

My reason for picking the MV's capabilities apart and asking all these questions was to improve my workflow. What better place than MV Nation. I finish all projects in Ableton, but the songs originate in a variety of samplers and sequencers. I've now determined the MV would be best as the last unit in a long chain of gear before I track to a VS and then on to Ableton for cleanup and additional overdubs if necessary with Serato. Realizing I was getting little accomplished with the MV as the initial sketchpad is why the MV's MFX struck me as so lacking, this in light of the FX capabilities of all the other gear that would come after it, including gear that was out at the same time like the SP-404/555 and MC-909, also from Roland.

Acosta and Stout's ADSR YouTube vid, which I have seen mentioned here, was eye opening but it exposed some pretty weak claims as to the MV's achievements. I was made especially aware of this once I tried using the MV standalone, without the benefits of outboard FX processing. I refer specifically to the claim that the MV was somehow the evolution of the MPC interface. It really isn't. There is a VGA and mouse, and some handy buttons that access menu items. That's not much of an evolution if functionally it's still an MPC.

There is a whole list of comparisons between the MV and MPC on other forums and they are very boring unless you're looking to buy one or the other secondhand, so I'm not going to rehash that crap. But let's look at where it stands in a modern setup consisting of old and new gear with the final mastering taking place on a computer (which is the professional approach, if not everyone's favorite). If I started a project on the MV it would seem like a very empty, limited experience. If I start a project on a much simpler sampler like an SP, while I would never finish it on the machine, at least when I exported the tracks to the next machine they'd have some color and personality because of the FX capabilities and limitations of the interface. Similarly goes for the MC, the Korg workstation, the MPC, although the MPC I'd argue is the MV's equal in most respects and its superior in a few. All of them add character to be finessed on down the line until perfected and mastered in Ableton.

The MV doesn't give me any sense of that color or personality with its FX section. That doesn't have to be re-litigated but have at it if you want to. Here to learn!

What I've discovered rather is that its strength is in the internal S700 series sampler with emphasis/de-emphasis, the chopping/edit screens (even though the audio phrase section is a big waste of space if you can't edit phrases as if they were partials) and the groove templates in the MV's midi sequencer. Other than that the MV is just a so-so experience. Great at the end of a chain but to me completely uninspiring at the the top of the chain (unless being used as a midi sequencer with external sound modules which is a very limited way to use the MV and a waste of a good sounding sampler if it's just going to be re-sampled by an SP, an MPC, and MC, what have you).

I see what they did with the MV, now that I've had time to reflect. They took the chassis of the very attractive and popular VS line (the VS-2400) and turned it into an MPC with an S700/SP-808 audio engine/sampler, added the groove templates from the MC-909 and the MFX from a BOSS rack and called it macaroni. I mean the evolution of the interface. That's what I think anyway. I like it, but man it took me a long time to figure out why it wasn't working out for me anywhere else in the chain except for the spot right before the multitrack. Again thanks for any input, similar experiences, whatever. Enjoy this website. Thanks!  8)
« Last Edit: February 19, 2020, 04:00:23 pm by SMUDGE »

Offline keefaz

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 19, 2020, 05:29:23 pm »
Yes at the end of a hardware machine chain and before a computer, I would question the usability of the MV here as well...

Me, I use it for all parts in composition, sometimes I use another sampler (e-mu E4 XT) connected to it with midi and as soon as I found the sound I want from the e-mu, I record it in the MV. Basically I try to have all tracks in MV for workflow convenience (no need to power on and load setup on other machines). Also I re-chop the recorded phrases from the other sampler (I remix my own work in some way). As for mix and master, they sound quite good just internally, but I have to finish some projects at this point so I haven't compared mix in MV vs mix in a computer DAW yet.

Offline SMUDGE

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 20, 2020, 12:42:31 pm »
Yes at the end of a hardware machine chain and before a computer, I would question the usability of the MV here as well...

Me, I use it for all parts in composition, sometimes I use another sampler (e-mu E4 XT) connected to it with midi and as soon as I found the sound I want from the e-mu, I record it in the MV. Basically I try to have all tracks in MV for workflow convenience (no need to power on and load setup on other machines). Also I re-chop the recorded phrases from the other sampler (I remix my own work in some way). As for mix and master, they sound quite good just internally, but I have to finish some projects at this point so I haven't compared mix in MV vs mix in a computer DAW yet.

Yeah just use it for assembling and maybe mastering.

I think the MFX suck ass by design. Roland has a habit of underestimating what their customers intend to do with their products so the company aims low and the MV is their crowning achievement IMO. They figured a bunch of BOSS pedals would suit a guitarist or a bassist jamming along and threw in a handful of quirky FX like the vinyl sim and lo-fi. Roland figured they'd stake out a share of the MPC market by appealing to hip hop musicians with the MV, and I know they thought hip hop musicians are gonna sample records that have all the good FX already baked into them so why bother to add FX from the Groovebox or the SP. It's the same mentality that put out that retarded SP-404A.