Author Topic: Do the MFX suck ass?  (Read 4624 times)

Offline SMUDGE

• View Profile
Do the MFX suck ass?
« on: January 13, 2020, 01:45:49 pm »
I've had my 8800 for 5 years and try as I might, I am not impressed with the MFX selection at all. What am I doing wrong? Do I need to dig deeper into them to get a variety of sounds out of them? If so, where do I dig? They all seem fairly shallow. There are a lot of duplicate choices, and I'm not talking about User/Preset duplicates  ;) . Even when the machine dropped I think the MFX selection would have seemed paltry, yet in promo material the MFX selection seems to get pumped up unrealistically for what you actually get. If these are a bunch of BOSS stomp box emulators, then I could get more out of the few BOSS pedals I actually own than I get out of what the MV offers.

Tell me how to get the most out of the MFX. What to explore, what to resample and re-resample. You don't have to give away trade secrets, just tell me how to get more out of what is offered, because the MFX, not the processing speed or load times, are the MV's Achilles heel IMHO.

Offline Soul One

• Global Moderator
  • SON OF AUTUMN
    • View Profile
    • Website
Re: Do the MFX suck ass?
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2020, 03:24:27 am »
I personally dig the MFX a ton and one particular effect sits on my drum bus 24/7 for that classic boom bap girth and punch.

Calling the MFX the MV´s achilles heel should result in instant forum suspension IMO...

Offline SMUDGE

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2020, 12:38:36 pm »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I personally dig the MFX a ton and one particular effect sits on my drum bus 24/7 for that classic boom bap girth and punch.

Calling the MFX the MV´s achilles heel should result in instant forum suspension IMO...

Thanks for sharing Soul One. That was very helpful.  ::)

I saw a video on YouTube where a guy was trying to emulate a bunch of SP FX in Ableton. It would be cool if someone has done that with the MV. Even though there are less parameters to work with, I think the SP 404 & 555 FX inspire a lot more creativity than the MV MFX in terms of pure sound design, creating noise etc. The MV's FX are very static and redundant.

Offline widdly

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2020, 04:51:27 pm »
The mv effects are pretty good I reckon.  I've got a Boss VF-1 which has basically the same effects. 

I can't think of much that the sp404 fx can do that the MV cannot replicate.

A lot of tempo sync effects tricks can be done using the MFX synth with the external input.  I think that is a good area to really dig into if you want some unique effects for resampling.

The radio lofi effect is great for generating noise samples for further munging.

« Last Edit: January 14, 2020, 05:05:28 pm by widdly »

Offline Soul One

• Global Moderator
  • SON OF AUTUMN
    • View Profile
    • Website
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2020, 04:37:25 am »
That was very helpful.  ::)

You are welcome!

Offline keefaz

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2020, 12:51:08 pm »
Filters in MFX are good. Also there are ways to use these FX in non conventional way.
Last day I tried a pitch shifter -12 at mode 1 on a snare and it sounded surprislingly good, guitar fx chain on drums (reamp + slight overdrive) and you have some lo fi version you could use as layer. Anyway I resample each try so I can see if sound fits in mix then I keep it, else delete it and try other things

Offline dokbrown

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2020, 01:20:48 pm »
BACKGROUND:
Original green korg electribe sampler
Mpc 1000 JJOS [for a decade]
Roland MV8000
   With ableton as my DAW
MPC LIVE [current as of 11/2019]   
   Ableton DAW is collecting dust lately

I thought the MV  MFX were solid.  I definitely used them more often than my ableton FX for actual beatmaking.  DAW FX are more for polish/mixing/mastering for me.  I particularly liked the assignable 3 knobs that were only for FX.

Complaints:
   I thought a combined reverb/delay & 2 MFX busses would have made more sense like the roland MC 808/909.
   6-9 FX knobs would be sweet. Im thinking 2-3 knobs for each FX buss.

RECommendation:
   Unless u have the multiple outs, Cop a digital  to audio converter [see waxdat posts].  Get 1-2 external multi-fx processors.  Korg Kaoss/pioneer rmx/???  U have to resample with the MV, but the MV makes it so EZ.

Offline SMUDGE

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2020, 08:20:48 pm »

Thanks for the links and to everyone for their input. Yeah, the MV + KP3 is fantastic, but I felt like I was leaning on the KP way too much so I started exploring what I could do with just the MV's FX, and you know the rest of the story. I ain't satisfied. Gotta figure out what FX to resample and chop I guess, but man what a let down. Fuck a bunch of BOSS pedals.. just give me some damn variety.

Offline Waxdat

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2020, 06:08:46 am »
You have just got to experiment. Put in the time and you will be rewarded. Trust me, the FX are dope  and people who put in the time to master how to use them will get the most out of these almost 20 year old FX. It’s not about what you have but how you use it. The key is experiment, experiment, experiment.

Offline SMUDGE

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2020, 09:51:50 am »
You have just got to experiment. Put in the time and you will be rewarded. Trust me, the FX are dope  and people who put in the time to master how to use them will get the most out of these almost 20 year old FX. It’s not about what you have but how you use it. The key is experiment, experiment, experiment.

In combination with a KP3, the MV is much more versatile FX-wise, but I started thinking I could do the same stuff much faster with an MPC and the KP3. So I put the KP3 on the FX sends of my mixer and once it was no longer exclusive to the MV, I hit the wall on the MV. The MV is linked to the VS-2400 which has way better FX than the MV, but unfortunately I can't figure out how to slave the VS's FX to the MV's 3 control knobs, which would be awesome. Love the real time control.
I'd almost forgive the MV for having such lackluster FX selection if I could pull that trick off.
If what you say is true, I'd love to see an FX deep dive on your channel Mr Dat.

Offline Waxdat

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2020, 02:10:06 pm »
You have to go into the FX blocks and turn on individual FX blocks and tweak them and combine them in different ways and then use them for different things. Save and rename. I will do a video one day.

Offline Soul One

• Global Moderator
  • SON OF AUTUMN
    • View Profile
    • Website
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2020, 06:46:36 am »
I'd almost forgive the MV for having such lackluster FX selection

Holy crap, you clearly have no idea what you are talking about!

Offline SMUDGE

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2020, 01:33:22 pm »
I'd almost forgive the MV for having such lackluster FX selection

Holy crap, you clearly have no idea what you are talking about!

Soul One, I promise I'm not trolling. Give me some input! That's why this board is awesome.
I have legitimate concerns about my MV workflow. Just trying to get the most out of it, and justify owning it when I have 2 MPCs sitting here that aren't collecting dust by any means.
The MFX are redundant and weak. I realize this is an outdated machine. I have lots of them and each has its own unique character. If Hangnef could import the MC-909's FX into the MV you might see what I mean.
Even for the time the MV's MFX were lacking, even compared to the SP-404 which is just a beefed up sampler. Tell me there is an angle I'm missing please. I love the build quality, chopping workflow, audio quality, edit options, etc. But come on. WTF on these FX people.

Offline Waxdat

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2020, 06:23:34 pm »
What FX are you trying to achieve?

Offline SMUDGE

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2020, 08:37:33 pm »
What FX are you trying to achieve?

I wish there were grain manipulation, BPM loopers, stutterers, more sensitive filters, better tonal adjustment to distortions, DJFX (scratch sim like on SP-404), humanizers & step filters (like on MC-909), a slicer with variable patterns. BPM sync on more FX, BPM sync autopan (there isn't one right?), a warmer chorus like on the 404. Just a bunch of stuff Waxdat.
 I'm not complaining about the MV not being another machine altogether. It's not a KP3. But it's not even close to an SP or an MC that were out at the time FX-wise. You've got the 3 control knobs and they are useless with most of the FX in real time because the FX are so boring and redundant. I really wish I could control the VS's FX with them. Then I wouldn't worry about any of it.

I think the trick is probably to resample and re-resample with the FX, but I can't figure out a good technique. Probably because the selection is so weak. I don't think it's user error. I've recently been using an SP-555 and have had amazing results with it standalone, sampling its tone generators and using the built in mic and my voice, resampling again and again layer on top of layer. I want this kind of experience with the MV. The MV is like having a hot car with a crappy radio you can't switch out so you have to bring your iPod and earbuds.