Author Topic: Emulating Drumbreak emulation technique for Mpc on the MV?  (Read 3762 times)

Offline conecthink

• View Profile
Emulating Drumbreak emulation technique for Mpc on the MV?
« on: October 15, 2019, 06:27:41 am »

love this method. its such a Waxdattian thing but me myself cant duplicate it on the MV. ofc can re-sample combinations....or record 1/8 note gaps before oneshots...to resemble but then the method loses flexibility to quickly change snares, kicks etc. change swing by playing with delay

the smt doesn't allow me having say a kick triggering normal and snare on the ez delay so you can have kick, snare combination. it triggers both with whatever routing that particular partial has.

i can envision some ways resampling with the ez delay, or in sequencer and chopping to create the gaps in one shots i need. But the goal is to have an elegant template, tweakable, interchangeable sounds.

anyways... i cant figure it out. maybe somebody else has an idea

kudos to that guy btw. small channel with very cool content

Offline SMUDGE

• View Profile
Re: Emulating Drumbreak emulation technique for Mpc on the MV?
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2019, 01:14:17 pm »
Perhaps depending on if you're using an 8000 or an 8800, the 8000 definitely lets you scroll through patterns in a pattern track on the fly. Maybe the 8800 does but I don't use the pattern track so I don't know.
If you can have a pattern of 1 beat then you could make a bunch of 1 beat patterns, step rec them in to a pattern track, then scroll through each, changing them as it plays.
You ought to be able to do this within a program on the fly but you can't.
You ought to be able to have a 1 beat pattern, but if you can't then you also can't.  8)

Offline conecthink

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2019, 05:02:46 pm »
thanks  8) ...thats clever thinking to use the pattern mode. its perfect even for the 8800 cause it can record patterns unquantized/realtime so you can really record like a chopped up break.

I have the 8k which is missing that feature. not too bad though even on the 8k. micro move some 1/8note pattern blocks, have some one shots routed to delays or other effects and tweak with that to lose the rigid step recordings. or audition the patterns, switch samples, and if its cool...resample and record as midi. couple more hoops to jump through  :)

Offline conecthink

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2019, 07:04:46 am »
i couldve had an 8800 extra. when i finished a deal on the 8k another seller messaged me back. eager to sell his 8800 for like 375eu.  :'( same price i roughly paid for the 8k. shouldve had a "fuck the rent" moment back then.

with prices rising and less units for sale (is my impression) you would expect it to be a bit more busy around here. or maybe that is the case already... Most Online Today: 19 seems pretty excessive to me :P

Offline keefaz

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2019, 07:24:52 am »
I can see how you can create drums groove in some funky way with this method, but for repeatability I don't know. I mean do you really want to use this technique for a lot of beats or just a few? I think setup is a bit tedious adjusting drums delay from each other, also when you want to erase just a hi hat or a kick mmmmh...

Offline conecthink

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2019, 03:23:43 pm »
i think its pretty okay.... certainly when you can record realtime. with 8k i dunno. it might feel a bit wtf am i doing making drums with the step record. the results might still be nice though but its probably more like stumbling on something that sounds nice by cycling through some patterns and sounds instead of a (semi) conscious effort. the frustrating thing is, you can actually play with the patterns just fine to get something funky like you say...but then you have step record to recreate.. which isnt cool.

as far as it being tedious... i think its not to bad.you could have a project ready with all these patterns ready to go that you can switch around on the pads. (or load a patch and some midi files) and then "save as new project" keeping the template intact for the next time

changing a kick is as easy as importing a different kick and overwriting a pad. or if you have a patch full of kicks just transposing up/down

for the mpc live the guy uses the delay to separate the sounds but its not necessary for the MV method. for say a kick/hat combination you can just record them in the sequencer properly spaced. it still adds something to have a delay there to glue your drum patterns together sortasay.

Offline kneelo

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2019, 10:01:03 pm »
not sure if i grasp what your saying the mv can't do here...but i think "event list" might be what you're looking for to change the drum sounds.
so...
play a pattern of one shots.  resample a number of times with delays or whatever, and then chop in different lengths every which way to sunday.
then lay down a pattern (you can then save your midi track into your template library for easy use on any later projects), or  download a midi pattern you like and use it.

next, go to track, hit event list. scroll over to note. that's where you can easily change your samples around and choose different ones, while keeping the same pattern.

when you come up with a section in your pattern that you like, resample it, cut it up keep the good bit and add it to a pad in the same drum instrument. rinse and repeat...

if you're after a boom bap style, then maybe see waxdat's tutorial on getting the SP swing on the MV.

« Last Edit: October 23, 2019, 10:24:18 pm by kneelo »

Offline conecthink

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2019, 01:40:36 am »
thnx for the reply  :)

just to clarify, i wasnt saying the MV couldnt do it. in fact i was pretty sure the mv could do it cause it has MV written all over it. it was my own limitations getting stuck on doing it via SMT (like the mpc head did it)

I meant that the mv8000 using this technique utilizing the pattern mode like smudge proposed...cant record it in real time in the pattern track..which is a real setback. well it actually can do it by re sampling and having the metronome on...create say a 4 bar loop, with a groove and samples you like. but i wanted to stay away from re sampling cause then the result would be static. i might have to rethink that though.

lemme reiterate that i think the pattern mode way of doing it is perfect for the 88.... a hoop or two to jump through on the 8k.

i like your idea with the event list too maybe there's something in there too....but how you propose it...if we are re sampling our own drum patterns and then transposing the note to change chops (instead of the individual sounds within the chop) and re sampling again to make more nice drum chops. arent we basically chopping up our own drum breaks? and keep the limitation that we cant change individual sounds?

practical example.... i love the drum pattern i just created. how it grooves together. I want to change the snare though. the snare and only the snare. if i just transpose to another chop with a snare in it the pattern changes. the sd has different timing...the hat following the sd hits differently..maybe its a different hat. I get that there are work arounds for that too but at this point I rather just chop up a drumbreak ;D
« Last Edit: October 24, 2019, 03:33:44 am by conecthink »

Offline conecthink

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2019, 01:54:52 am »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
if you're after a boom bap style, then maybe see waxdat's tutorial on getting the SP swing on the MV.

cant say that im after a style. usually i would do my own drums.. but i thought the method was interesting and in the spirit of the MV and maybe some people here could run with it.

Offline Waxdat

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2019, 08:53:50 am »

Offline conecthink

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2019, 12:09:54 am »
but if the drum pattern is running in the pattern track you cant do that while the sequencer is running right? you would have to go back to pattern mode to transpose. no biggie though.. and to change while the sequencer runs you can use the quick edit>sample list to change drums in the pattern.
Not really sure if I follow what is going on here.
not sure if i grasp what your saying

Ill try to be concise  ;D

in a simple form this method would consist of:
- 1/8 sized patterns from the pattern mode...those are 'the chops'..you chain together a bunch in sequencer mode to create a drum line
- these 'chops' would have multiple tracks in pattern mode (1track works too but this is cleaner and more adaptable) to make simple combinations to resemble drm chops aka. kick/hat   snare/kick   snare/open hat etc whatever really
- you play around with it, make something you like.
- it feels like working with a chopped drum break
- but the beauty is we still have the ability to change any and every sound in the drum pattern

not sure if there's anything to add or to improve there. maybe that's it.

Offline keefaz

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2019, 04:56:12 am »
I tried to make a patch with drums to use like a sound bank, so I load it in a project and copy some pads from it to another patch. But when I delete the drums bank patch from project when it isn't needed anymore (to save memory space), MV8000 erases the copied pads in the other patch... Workaround I found is to copy samples in sample manager instead (truncate from start to end in new sample). Do you save your bank patches within each project?
Sorry for off topic

Offline Waxdat

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2019, 11:43:22 am »
but if the drum pattern is running in the pattern track you cant do that while the sequencer is running right? you would have to go back to pattern mode to transpose. no biggie though.. and to change while the sequencer runs you can use the quick edit>sample list to change drums in the pattern.
Not really sure if I follow what is going on here.
not sure if i grasp what your saying

Ill try to be concise  ;D

in a simple form this method would consist of:
- 1/8 sized patterns from the pattern mode...those are 'the chops'..you chain together a bunch in sequencer mode to create a drum line
- these 'chops' would have multiple tracks in pattern mode (1track works too but this is cleaner and more adaptable) to make simple combinations to resemble drm chops aka. kick/hat   snare/kick   snare/open hat etc whatever really
- you play around with it, make something you like.
- it feels like working with a chopped drum break
- but the beauty is we still have the ability to change any and every sound in the drum pattern

not sure if there's anything to add or to improve there. maybe that's it.

I get the pattern play part. I just was confused about what the guy was actually trying to do.... And the reason why.  I kind of get it now. It would take me too long to explain......but SMT can be used.....and the delay thing can be used for all kinds of things. I use it for shuffles, ghost note kicks, flams, reverse flams and other kool things. The easiest way is to program drums, shift some timing around, then resample and chop on the 1/8 note

Offline Waxdat

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2019, 12:54:03 pm »
I tried to make a patch with drums to use like a sound bank, so I load it in a project and copy some pads from it to another patch. But when I delete the drums bank patch from project when it isn't needed anymore (to save memory space), MV8000 erases the copied pads in the other patch... Workaround I found is to copy samples in sample manager instead (truncate from start to end in new sample). Do you save your bank patches within each project?
Sorry for off topic

Offline conecthink

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2019, 01:41:02 am »
Sorry for off topic

once you're done with a patch....

-delete patch(assign only)
-delete patch from library (or dont assign to the library to begin with)
-choose optimize in the sample manager which cleans up all the samples that are just sitting in sample manager

it works the same if you import say 30 kicks, don't assign, just press "ok" they get put in sample manager. you assign/audition from there. and optimize cleans up everything you didn't use.