Author Topic: MV software full reinstall  (Read 1255 times)

Offline Fsuchs

• View Profile
MV software full reinstall
« on: July 15, 2019, 08:00:34 am »
Hi
A friend just buy an used MV8800. But it seems that the previous owner had some kind of esotheric fil organisation. The MV also crashes from time to time. After a quick discussion with my friend, i suggested him to reinstall the full software inside the MV, or doing some kind of factory hard reset.
Anyone here done this before? Any clue about how to proceed? the only elements i can find about it is what seems to be an soft factory reset... what would be good would be to wipe all the DD and reinstall the full firmware, to get the MV like new, without any damn user folder in the HD

Any help would be appreciated! :) thanks in advance!
« Last Edit: July 15, 2019, 08:04:40 am by Fsuchs »

mvstudio

Re: MV software full reinstall
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2019, 08:05:08 am »
You could run a Memory Diagnose to see if the Dimm is OK, and reset all settings (Initialize).
Those are both found by pressing System and then F5
And you could format the hard drive by pressing DISK/USB -> F2 -> FORMAT
Ofcourse you need to re-install all MV patches/demos after that.

Reinstalling the firmware will probably not work because the MV will notice that it is the same version (if you are already up to date).

Finally you can
'Try running the MV's diagnostic mode/test mode . Press MENU+F3 while powering on. Use the Device Auto check and it will run a RAM check and other stuff etc etc.'
(I found this at You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login)

Offline Fsuchs

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2019, 10:12:52 pm »
Thanks for your reply

Yes, Ram diagnostic would be a nice idea but i doubt that in this case it would solve his issues. The problem is the esoteric files organisation. I  think the previous owner messed a bit too much into the HD.... SO i'm looking for a way to restore the HD in its original organisation...

mvstudio

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2019, 10:35:51 pm »
If you format the hard drive it will set up the original folder structure, and you can copy the original patches and demo songs to it from the MV Cd's or if you don't have those, the contents are on this forum.

Offline dokbrown

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2019, 02:25:07 pm »

Offline conecthink

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2019, 01:52:34 am »
that sucks.. maybe dimm diag? not to check the ram but to clear it to how you saved it originally. its just a hunch. it might work if the MV in some quirky way does an operation after loading that you can revert. dimm diag probably does nothing cause this is how the project is saved now so I dont think you can make it worse?...it either stays the same...probably. or it works in some quirky way.     

at least in system info you can see if the project still holds samples in the wave memory that are somehow hidden.
some other thoughts...if it lets you...back up the project to the dvd/cdrom and put it on the new hdd to see how/if it runs. also you can navigate that backup on your laptop and maybe use some recover utility to see if it turns up something. But i dont know if a backup would be a carbon copy (i.e. with the hidden stuff in it)

Sorry all unscientific shit.

Offline dokbrown

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2019, 11:26:22 am »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
that sucks.. maybe dimm diag? not to check the ram but to clear it to how you saved it originally. its just a hunch. it might work if the MV in some quirky way does an operation after loading that you can revert. dimm diag probably does nothing cause this is how the project is saved now so I dont think you can make it worse?...it either stays the same...probably. or it works in some quirky way.     

at least in system info you can see if the project still holds samples in the wave memory that are somehow hidden.
some other thoughts...if it lets you...back up the project to the dvd/cdrom and put it on the new hdd to see how/if it runs. also you can navigate that backup on your laptop and maybe use some recover utility to see if it turns up something. But i dont know if a backup would be a carbon copy (i.e. with the hidden stuff in it)

Sorry all unscientific shit.

let me see . . . . . . .