Author Topic: Looking for 1.00 MV8800.PRG file for software mod project  (Read 1306 times)

Offline hangnef

• View Profile
Looking for 1.00 MV8800.PRG file for software mod project
« on: May 09, 2019, 01:56:25 pm »
I'm in the process of getting a HW debugging environment going and reverse engineering the firmware for the MV-8800 and was wondering if a 1.00 MV8800.PRG exists?  It would help to compare against the 1.01 version when disassembling, etc.

I had reached out to Roland about licensing their source code or open sourcing it and was told "no".  I expected that, but thought I'd try anyway.

Any help greatly appreciated!

Offline hangnef

• View Profile
Re: Looking for 1.00 MV8800.PRG file for software mod project
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2019, 06:58:20 am »
I probably should have mentioned the purpose of my request.     8)

I am hoping to get to the point where I can make changes to the OS (bug fixes, improvements, new features, etc).  I was hoping I could license the source code or get Roland to make it available to the community but they are very strict about their intellectual property.

In addition to the older firmware, I'm looking for a working MV-8800.  All it really needs to be able to do is boot and work on a VGA display.  It can have issues, etc.  Need one for doing testing on that isn't my main machine in the event I end up bricking it testing changes out (at least until I figure out how to blast flash manually).

Offline conecthink

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2019, 04:13:44 am »
thats a cool idea...to bad that if you do manage to pull it off I dont have the 8800.

good luck though

Offline hangnef

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2019, 06:10:57 am »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
thats a cool idea...to bad that if you do manage to pull it off I dont have the 8800.

good luck though

The units are so similar I can see changes being done to the 8000 as well.  I just don't have one (yet).    :)