Author Topic: Tips for beginners  (Read 5670 times)

Offline Waxdat

• View Profile
Re: Tips for beginners
« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2019, 07:39:07 am »

Offline Seon

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2019, 09:46:45 pm »
That's what I thought, thank you Waxdat !

Offline Roger, the MIDI Maniac

• MIDI IN - MIDI OUT
    • View Profile
    • TheMIDImaniac
« Reply #17 on: May 27, 2019, 07:06:25 am »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

have a look at videos by roger the midi maniac (he doesn't lie, he really is a midi maniac). roger walks you through every step, with lots of enthusiasm. following his video instructions is great for getting to learn the machine.
waxdat has lot so videos. however, he is often illustrating more obscure features of the MV. but like with roger, following his instructions will make your explore and understand the machine.

have fun.

Wow!!! Thanks for mentioning me, Kneelo!
Really appreciated!
 ;D ;D ;D
Grtzzz,
Roger, the MIDI maniac
YT: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
mail: Roger@themidimaniac.com
Web: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline Roger, the MIDI Maniac

• MIDI IN - MIDI OUT
    • View Profile
    • TheMIDImaniac
« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2019, 03:10:19 pm »
Hi!

Here a short video about creating arpeggios with Step Rec.

Good luck!

Grtzzz,
Roger
Grtzzz,
Roger, the MIDI maniac
YT: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
mail: Roger@themidimaniac.com
Web: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline rochus

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 10, 2019, 02:01:47 am »
Thanks so much all for these great tips! I really love this machine, slowly digging into it.

Is it possible to set a "mute group"? For example, to mute several midi tracks at once.

Offline Zenkodo

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 12, 2019, 10:16:16 am »
I'm not sure to understand why I can reduce the output gain of the sampler (system -> global). Is it only to avoid clipping when resampling ? Or is there something else too ?

The output gain of the MV must set to -12db, if you want to have the same sound get out what you put in!
The MV has a -12db decrease at the input-> so if you set your global gain to "0" you get a slightly distorted sound. Believe me, the samples sound much more natural at global -12db. And you need the headroom at last when you going to master your song!

Turn up your main volume at max from the beginning. Turn down your global output to -12db. Your samples will appreciate that.

Offline conecthink

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 24, 2019, 03:11:32 am »
I'm not sure to understand why I can reduce the output gain of the sampler (system -> global). Is it only to avoid clipping when resampling ? Or is there something else too ?

The output gain of the MV must set to -12db, if you want to have the same sound get out what you put in!
The MV has a -12db decrease at the input-> so if you set your global gain to "0" you get a slightly distorted sound. Believe me, the samples sound much more natural at global -12db. And you need the headroom at last when you going to master your song!

Turn up your main volume at max from the beginning. Turn down your global output to -12db. Your samples will appreciate that.

is this what everybody does? leave it at -12db...? bakerman says you need to sample like that but i have heard people say to sample at 0db. is there some sort of consensus on this? I do struggle for headroom sometimes, getting my head wrapped around gain and volume and shit  ;D ive read a bit about it online but then i struggle to apply it for the mv situation. and i do struggle for headroom in the mix too.. so leaving it at -12db or just taking gain off to create headroom would be nice. i lower volume cause when i take off gain from a project that started at 0db i feel the sound changes. but sometimes the volume must be ridiculously low to stop clipping.

Offline widdly

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 03, 2019, 06:51:24 pm »
Here is a total noobie tip that might save you some pointless button mashing.

If you quick edit a sample and want to get back to the arrangement, instead of pressing exit 3 times, press the sequence button.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2019, 06:55:33 pm by widdly »

Offline conecthink

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 15, 2019, 01:59:16 am »
yeah the sequence button is a real time saver  :)

When using the mv without vga connected you can use the value wheel (or dec. inc buttons) to quickly name tracks. which i found alot more convenient and fast than using the dial pad like an old nokia.