Author Topic: Tips for beginners  (Read 5665 times)

Offline rochus

• View Profile
Tips for beginners
« on: March 19, 2019, 07:13:56 am »
Hello, friends!

I don't own an MV yet, but I should be expecting the 8800 at my doorstep sometime in the next couple of weeks.

I've been using MPC Ren for some time now, but after reading and watching videos about the MV, I took the plunge.

I see a lot of comments that this beast of a machine has a steep learning curve, so I was thinking if you guys could
share some of your experience to newbies on the machine (not necessarily newcomers to music production) to help us ease in.

What are some of the things to keep a mind on when starting to delve into the MV, simple tasks and stuff like that which may not be so intuitive in the beginning (that includes "oh-so-that's-how-it's-done" moments)

I can't wait to get it, I will sure post some tips of my own, once I get to know it!

Thank you kindly!

« Last Edit: March 23, 2019, 01:08:22 am by rochus »

Offline kneelo

• View Profile
Re: Tips for beginners
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2019, 03:31:45 pm »
congrats on the soon-to-be new machine.

the MV is pretty easy to use. but you can go very deep.

--one issue you might have is this -- when you press "sample" it will probably open with optical (digital) input as default. to change this, press  "system" button then "initialise". this will change the input to "analogue".

--this a very basic tip, but it confused me at first. where the hell are my samples? after sampling, you are given a page with the option of making your sample into a patch or phrase (look those up in the manual). if you don't choose one of those, and move on to more sampling, it seems like your sample has disappeared.
any sample you make or use, can be found here -- hit "project" button, then open "sample manager". all your samples are sitting in a list to choose from.

have a look at videos by roger the midi maniac (he doesn't lie, he really is a midi maniac). roger walks you through every step, with lots of enthusiasm. following his video instructions is great for getting to learn the machine.
waxdat has lot so videos. however, he is often illustrating more obscure features of the MV. but like with roger, following his instructions will make your explore and understand the machine.

have fun.

Offline conecthink

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2019, 02:46:07 am »
the quantize sometimes has people confused.....in getting things they did not expect. when i use shuffle quantize on 120(16th notes) i usually set it at rate close to 50% and low strength...like under 20% . i think this means its hardly shuffling.

and the strength, i assume at for example 50% strength the sequencer registers 1/32 notes and at 25% strength 1/64 etc. so you can get more and more loose while still having some quantize going.

and if i want to have more swing, or have it tighter on the grid, or a groove template I go to the track parameter>quantize type to change what i got while im listening to it. this makes more sense to me than recording at say 71 rate shuffle and not knowing exactly what the outcome will be. for one some people might know exactly what they are doing but I dont...two, if i wanted to have a certain outcome id play it like that.

now that i think abt it i guess that's what you have to do/know if you dont want unexpected results. if you wanna record a 71 rate shuffle you have to play something that resembles a 71 rate shuffle (otherwise you might have a wtf moment) and it fixes your inaccuracies...either completely if you have 100% strength or leaves more looseness sub 100%. quite logical now that i think about it  :)

so yeah shuffle recording with rate 50% at 100% strength is straight 16th notes (or 1/8 at 240 resolution) lower the strength significantly to get more loose.. dont do much with the rate% when recording if you are not that educated on drum grooves just change the rate% with the track parameter while monitoring the result

Offline rochus

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2019, 01:06:35 am »
Great stuff guys, these type of tips is exactly what I had in mind!

Offline Waxdat

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2019, 07:30:09 am »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
the quantize sometimes has people confused.....in getting things they did not expect. when i use shuffle quantize on 120(16th notes) i usually set it at rate close to 50% and low strength...like under 20% . i think this means its hardly shuffling.

and the strength, i assume at for example 50% strength the sequencer registers 1/32 notes and at 25% strength 1/64 etc. so you can get more and more loose while still having some quantize going.

and if i want to have more swing, or have it tighter on the grid, or a groove template I go to the track parameter>quantize type to change what i got while im listening to it. this makes more sense to me than recording at say 71 rate shuffle and not knowing exactly what the outcome will be. for one some people might know exactly what they are doing but I dont...two, if i wanted to have a certain outcome id play it like that.

now that i think abt it i guess that's what you have to do/know if you dont want unexpected results. if you wanna record a 71 rate shuffle you have to play something that resembles a 71 rate shuffle (otherwise you might have a wtf moment) and it fixes your inaccuracies...either completely if you have 100% strength or leaves more looseness sub 100%. quite logical now that i think about it  :)

so yeah shuffle recording with rate 50% at 100% strength is straight 16th notes (or 1/8 at 240 resolution) lower the strength significantly to get more loose.. dont do much with the rate% when recording if you are not that educated on drum grooves just change the rate% with the track parameter while monitoring the result

And it gets even deeper than that as far as what you can do with the sequencer and the quantize settings.

Offline Seon

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2019, 10:21:35 pm »
For sure it don't need another thread to be create and as I'm a beginner too, maybe those questions will be helpful for Rochus too.

I just finished to read all the user manual of the MV-8800 but I still have some questions.

-When you assign different samples to the SMT, is there a way to erase those after ?
I know I can change to whatever sample I want from the sample list, and I can also mute the samples I don't want to hear, but I didn't find a way to erase them from the SMT.

-What is the difference between the locators and the makers ? Why/ when should I use which one ?

-Is it possible to stop the beat LED to blink ?

-I'm not sure to understand why I can reduce the output gain of the sampler (system -> global). Is it only to avoid clipping when resampling ? Or is there something else too ?

-There is an event list sys-ex... I don't knot that much about sys-ex except that with some gear you can transfer data (midi dump ?)... The sys-ex inside the MVs if for what ?

-In the mixer menu I didn't get the audio phrase section. When is it useful to change its value (volume...) ?

-The digital out copy protect is used for what ? What should be protected ?

-Finally, the screen saver type "6" displays a "(no picture)" on my display, is there a way to assign to it a picture or something ?

Offline Seon

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2019, 03:55:23 pm »
I would be happy if somebody could give me some answer please !  :)

Offline conecthink

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2019, 01:20:42 am »
i dont know many answers to your questions.

smt...i myself had the same thing.. havent found a way to erase a sample from smt. the workaround is easy so I went with that

locators markers? i sometimes use locators for where the hook starts for example. to jump there quickly. I guess you use it for that? markers.... i never use. it seems to me that you can use both for the same thing. to navigate around your project. locators are more specific with names, editing position. which could be more handy if you make large pieces of music instead of anonymous markers. markers are easily put into the project (with the mouse). in all honesty i dont really see it either marker seems a 'locator lite'

you cant stop the led blinking. in sample based production with longer chops i find it useful as a visual cue to see if a sample drifts. everybody does things differently though.

the output gain...i put it on 0 always.. i dont really know enough about it though. only that when i sample my bass station with lower output gain the levels will be lower. it doesnt sound like I hear it on the input. so i leave it at 0. maybe someone can give some examples of how to use the output gain in different ways.

sys-ex. dunno

i dont really understand the audiophrase question. the audio phrases themselves have volume control. click pad and quick edit...change the volume....if you put them in track you can control track volume from the mixer (or on top with the vga) and still change volume of individual audio events with audio event parameter.. use as you please i would say,

The digital out...dunno

screensaver, never tried

Offline conecthink

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2019, 04:36:41 am »
i understand how using a marker would make sense now.. its easier to jump from marker to marker using shift+step time. you could for example have a marker on every section that has some variation in it... When playing...use shift+step > to quickly navigate from section to section. use shift+< step to start from the last marker. when its not on play, you can go forward and back thru the markers.

or have markers on every last bar to quickly check transitions to the next section. obv a marker would also work for jumping 16 bars to the chorus. i might start using them myself

you could also implement quickset loop (set to '..' bars with shift+on) into that workflow to quickly loop sections for sequencing. 

Offline Seon

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2019, 05:19:02 am »
conecthink, thank you very much for those answers !

If somebody knows the answer for the other questions, tell me please !  :)

Offline Bakerman

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2019, 09:59:48 am »
I'm not sure to understand why I can reduce the output gain of the sampler (system -> global). Is it only to avoid clipping when resampling ? Or is there something else too ?

The output gain of the MV must set to -12db, if you want to have the same sound get out what you put in!
The MV has a -12db decrease at the input-> so if you set your global gain to "0" you get a slightly distorted sound. Believe me, the samples sound much more natural at global -12db. And you need the headroom at last when you going to master your song!

Turn up your main volume at max from the beginning. Turn down your global output to -12db. Your samples will appreciate that.

Offline Bakerman

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2019, 10:15:22 am »
-What is the difference between the locators and the makers ? Why/ when should I use which one ?

Two different location systems: with the locators you have a Jump List, where you can jump directly to your locator. the Markers you can only scip forward. When cutting audiofiles it is extremly useful to cut at a set marker.
I use the markers every 4 bars, so I can oversee my song structure (usually every 8 bars the melody will change)
I use the locators to jump to verse/ chorus/ verse /chorus

Offline Seon

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2019, 07:50:39 pm »

Offline Bakerman

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2019, 11:45:22 am »
yes, as long you are sampling through the analog inputs. You can make the sample louder by increasing the global gain, or you can normalize. Both will decrease your sample quality.

Offline Seon

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2019, 12:22:42 am »