Author Topic: Midi in fault with MV8800  (Read 2594 times)

Offline Les68

• View Profile
Midi in fault with MV8800
« on: January 28, 2019, 11:28:21 pm »

Offline conecthink

• View Profile
Re: Midi in fault with MV8800
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2019, 01:16:57 am »
I have a bassstation 2 as controller...did the basic connection bs2 midi out > midi in on the mv. as i recall it worked out the box. 

I just did a basic trouble shoot to see if i can reproduce you not receiving midi by flipping on/off every setting pertaining to midi on the mv and I cant.. it receives midi messages whatever I do.

you could try to initialize "system" > "system info" > initialize

it sometimes fixes quirks in the system.

maybe the midi led is broken?...have you tried to see if you can actually play a patch on the mv?

Offline Les68

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2019, 10:25:18 pm »
Hello Conecthink

thanks for your reply...

Yea mate I have tried other midi cables and also tested it with a bass station 2 as well...(great little synth very underrated) I have been trying to play patches on the MV with midi keyboards and the computer

Also, I have initialized the system...factory reset... downloaded the new OS...reformatted the hard disk and even a DIMM diagnosis

When I boot it up I get a message "disk error occurred" and "press F5 to start new project"....this message has been there since i bought it second hand...didnt think much of it until now

Frustrating, anyway thanks again..I have made contact with Roland and got a fast reply stating that they can repair it..I will post the results

Cheers

Offline Reeez

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2019, 10:31:39 pm »
Hey,
I had the same problem last year...
I tried everything midi-related in the setup pages, opened it to see if can solder or exchange some parts, watched videos, searched forums... I was about to send my mv to roland.
But then back to to the setup pages, I turned something off/on... midi was back ???
I really hope you get your midi back to life.
I think this is a problem which occurs when a mv wasn't used a long time...

Offline conecthink

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2019, 11:16:05 pm »
might be the dumbest thing ever but what would happen if you do midi out on the mv to the midi in on the mv  :o

maybe it wakes up.

the disk error might be related to the cd or floppy also... my cd player is malfunctioning and when i start up with a disk in it there's a delay in start up, the cd rom gets noisy. mv is trying to make sense of whats in there.. dont know if its giving an error. never checked that. just dont use cd's anymore.

one of these days im gonna do a full refurbishment. pads, faders, ssd, (15years+ hdd is probably risky) fan, cdrom/dvd... I want to do it all at once though and need to collect more info on what hardware I need. 

Offline conecthink

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2019, 11:18:53 pm »
so your mv doesnt load the last project you worked on? its just gives you an option to create a new one?

Offline Les68

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2019, 02:04:34 am »
Midi out MV to midi in MV to wake it up ?? 

My MV dosnt open with the previous project I worked on... I dont save anything when turning off etc..presently Im exploring the beast and learning the basic functions...very pissed about the midi in bullshit.. but it seems like other users have crazy issues too...tech sucks at tmes...ive been lucky no repaires just regular servicing of vintage synths...anyway, my unit is in great nick and sounds great with plenty of tweek options... im happy to send her to a tech to fix and giver her a service too...shes a keeper

My goal is to use it live with a few synths to save dismantling and transporting a studio to gigs..

all my work is on studio one with hardware analog synths and drum machines...I know this inside out...I like the editing and functions on the computer sooo easy...

hey what do you do with the MV...I see some great demos on them...its really amazing that one box can do it all...we should be seeing a revolution of crazy new music...my view is that good music has gone backward with all this tech...I dont know why ??

I have not used a sampler before.. looking forward to that

cheers again 

Offline conecthink

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2019, 02:58:54 am »
yeah just a dumb idea cause reezz said the problem solved kinda randomly by switching some setting on and off... I thought maybe send the mv's own midi output to its input. maybe it picks up the signal some way and it works from then on. its a desperation move but im not a tech person lols.

I just play around with the mv making sample based hiphop.. starting to get better. maybe ill release a project this year with a homie that raps and likes some of the beats im doing. he has people to properly master my beats and put scratches on them. otherwise im just having fun with it. im in no way pushing the boundaries of what the machine can do but thats okay.. i like dusty grimy, spacey loops, tight drums with some subtle change ups. 

Offline conecthink

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2019, 03:09:47 am »
btw you could try to save the empty project you created (if you want to start fresh every time)

you might get rid of the error message and it saves you some boot time also. creating a project takes more time than loading a 0mb proj.

Offline Waxdat

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2019, 06:58:14 pm »
Go into diagnostic mode. Hold F3 button and menu button while turning the MV on and do a complete test.

Offline Les68

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2019, 03:27:21 am »
Cheers Waxdat

i ran the diagnostics...the auto checks all ok ..

on the midi check

I get this page

MIDI OUT A -> MIDI IN    --
MIDI OUT B -> MIDI IN    --

i dont know what this means ?

Offline Roger, the MIDI Maniac

• MIDI IN - MIDI OUT
    • View Profile
    • TheMIDImaniac
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2019, 04:03:45 pm »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Cheers Waxdat

i ran the diagnostics...the auto checks all ok ..

on the midi check

I get this page

MIDI OUT A -> MIDI IN    --
MIDI OUT B -> MIDI IN    --

i dont know what this means ?
« Last Edit: February 02, 2019, 04:05:27 pm by Roger, the MIDI Maniac »
Grtzzz,
Roger, the MIDI maniac
YT: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
mail: Roger@themidimaniac.com
Web: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline Les68

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2019, 01:26:21 am »
Hi Rodger the midi maniac

Cheers for the tip with the midi loop .. makes sense I was doing similar with the sequencer to get a result.. but nothing happened on the MV... the sequencer was sending and redieving sysex messages from and to the MV... but alas nothing on the MV

This seems like the last resort.. next step is postage to Roland and pay the bill..

Offline Tresequisovahed

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2019, 12:03:55 pm »
From the Service notes:

Offline conecthink

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2019, 03:08:22 am »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
might be the dumbest thing ever but what would happen if you do midi out on the mv to the midi in on the mv  :o

maybe it wakes up.

funny  that this was somehow correct albeit for a different reason