Author Topic: Is it possible to feed 117v unit directly with 220v?  (Read 1233 times)

Offline boobaloo

• View Profile
Is it possible to feed 117v unit directly with 220v?
« on: October 18, 2018, 03:23:20 am »
Hello guys!

Recently I've bought MV8000. It is labeled with 117V on the back-plate (pic attached).
Do I need step-down converter to use it with 220V outlet or no? I've read all MVs have multivoltage transformers.
Can anybody prove that? Thank you in advance!

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline Soul One

• Global Moderator
  • SON OF AUTUMN
    • View Profile
    • Website
Re: Is it possible to feed 117v unit directly with 220v?
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2018, 08:12:50 am »

Offline boobaloo

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2018, 03:20:27 am »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Thanks for the info, but not all switching power supplies have auto voltage adjustment feature.
Sure I googled before asking, but as always there were some places that recommend to use voltage clearly labeled on the unit. Also I found some photos of MV back-plates with 240V.

The appendices in the manual just list all possible voltages without any claim that any unit can handle all of them.
Would be much clear to print something like 110-240V when the unit has auto voltage adjustment.
Anyway, I've tried to power it with 220V directly and it works. Hooray :)

Offline MV4ever

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2018, 02:02:01 am »
I have MVs from US and UK that are labelled 117V and 220V and they all work with my step-down convertor or 230V with no problem.

I am sure they use the same multi-voltage, multi-frequency supply for all units but just label them with the voltage of their intended country.  This allows them to sell at different prices in different countries, similar to what they tried to do with Regionalized DVDs.

Disclaimer - I am an electronics engineer, but this info is based only on the experience of the MVs I own.  The responsibility is yours.