Author Topic: Mv8800 Fan Mod  (Read 4810 times)

Offline chino

• View Profile
Mv8800 Fan Mod
« on: February 14, 2017, 10:23:07 am »
Today I installed a new Noctua NF-A8 ULN 80mm fan into my MV8800. I can verify that it works GREAT!! I used the included Low Noise Adapter. I did need to splice the original fan 2 prong wiring adapter to the Noctua Low Noise Adapter. The Noctua comes with a 3 & 4 prong adapter and an extra extension cable. Instead of soldering, I used 22mm shielded electrical wire connectors. I used a wire clamp to clamp the cables tightly together.

The Noctua fan is a VAST IMPROVEMENT over the original fan!! I had to check to make sure that the fan was running because I could not hear anything!! 8) I put a piece of paper in front of the fan to test that it was correctly blowing outward.

Offline Soul One

• Global Moderator
  • SON OF AUTUMN
    • View Profile
    • Website
Re: Mv8800 Fan Mod
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2017, 12:09:36 pm »
« Last Edit: February 17, 2017, 02:35:26 am by Soul One »

Offline chino

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2017, 02:44:54 pm »

Offline chino

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2017, 02:49:53 pm »

Offline JUKE179r

• OG Status
  • Go make some music!
    • View Profile
    • Instagram - JUKE179r
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2017, 07:14:01 pm »
I've installed the Silenx fans in both of my 8800's and 8000. Waaaaaaaay quieter than the stock fan. Plus it has an LED.  ;D
« Last Edit: September 25, 2017, 07:49:57 pm by JUKE179r »

Offline chino

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2017, 09:42:42 pm »
@JUKE179r... What is the model # of the replacement DVD rom that you have installed? I bought 2 so far but neither have the right connections to be installed correctly. Do I need a separate adapter?

Offline JUKE179r

• OG Status
  • Go make some music!
    • View Profile
    • Instagram - JUKE179r
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2017, 07:07:56 pm »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
@JUKE179r... What is the model # of the replacement DVD rom that you have installed? I bought 2 so far but neither have the right connections to be installed correctly. Do I need a separate adapter?

The internal DVD drive model that I used was the #UJ120 (BluRay Disc).
The DVD models that work on the MV8000 & MV8800 are #UJDA770 & #UJDA775. All of the these DVD drives will read from CDs & DVDs but not burn to DVD discs. You can still burn to CD though.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2017, 07:11:15 pm by JUKE179r »

Offline the PMO

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2018, 07:14:45 pm »
@chino

Do you happen to know what two color wires you spliced onto with the low noise adapter of the NF-A8? There are four so I'm assuming you splice on the two and cover and tuck away the other two?

Any info is appreciated!

Offline chino

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2018, 09:32:16 am »
@chino

Do you happen to know what two color wires you spliced onto with the low noise adapter of the NF-A8? There are four so I'm assuming you splice on the two and cover and tuck away the other two?

Any info is appreciated!

I matched the black(ground) wire to the black ground wire of the adapter. The red power wire I matched to the color wire of the adapter. I believe the white wire on the adapter is the power wire. The other wires I carefully capped with a plastic electrical end cap & tucked away safely.

Offline Tresequisovahed

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2018, 01:09:21 pm »

Offline 40 Thieves

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2018, 06:36:51 pm »
I just completed this mod on my MV-8000 right now!!! It was pretty fun for an introductory mod. Looking forward to possibly doing the resonance hack on my Jupiter-6 in the near future. Thanks forum for the idea!

Side note. When I took off the bottom panel and tried to get into the panel underneath that housed the fan, I found that two of the Allen screws had been filled with solder! I bought my machine brand new back in the day so don't know if this is common and if anyone else ran into this or will. Had to burn off that solder and suck it up into that mesh wire before I could remove the plate where the fan was hiding under.

Offline the PMO

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2018, 02:57:06 pm »
@chino

Any info is appreciated!

I matched the black(ground) wire to the black ground wire of the adapter. The red power wire I matched to the color wire of the adapter. I believe the white wire on the adapter is the power wire. The other wires I carefully capped with a plastic electrical end cap & tucked away safely.

I successfully did this mod to my MV today. I can confirm that the power wire for the NF-A8 is the yellow one. So you attach the black to black and the yellow to the red wire on the MV fan harness.

Offline Casiobone

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2018, 03:19:59 pm »
 :D Thanks to everyone who posted info on this fan mod for the MV-8800, I was able to DIY this little project with no problems. Great pics and info, Chino. Great additional input too from the PMO. You guys rock!

I'd like to add to the detailed info about the mod installation to not be alarmed that the Noctua package includes chrome screws while the screw holes in the Noctua fan itself are not provided with any grooves that accept the screws. As this was unexpected, I had to pause. Thankfully Chino's pic of the installed fan made it evident that the black screws (not the chrome ones) were usable. This encouraged me to go ahead and screw in the original black screws by force into the plastic of the Noctua fan. It worked well! The original MV-8800 screws cut into the plastic like butter. Hand tight made a perfectly snug fit.

I concur with all the praise for how awesomely quiet the Noctua NF-A8 fan sounds compared to the original stock fan. VERY low noise after installation. 100% satisfaction.

EXTRA: I repeated the same fan mod later on in my VS-2400CD and initially, results were ho hum. Unlike the MV, the Noctua fan speed in the VS was barely if at all attenuated even with the Noctua LNA.

Ultimately, however, what made the fan really ideally quiet was to connect 3 LNAs in a series! Near perfection and sustaining of good cool air flow. (I actually experimented by connecting 4 LNAs too. All noise was gone. I mean it was dead quiet, but with my ear at the vent I could detect the fan chugging at the spin threshold. No go.)

Finally, the VS success compelled an MV test at also linking LNAs in series. It worked great for truly optimal quietness and air flow. I decided on using two LNAs for the MV.

« Last Edit: July 23, 2018, 11:18:49 pm by Casiobone »

Offline badmind36

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2019, 12:07:25 am »
Great thread! Just dusted off the old beast today to put it back in operation, can't believe I never thought of doing this before lol... definitely appreciate this post, and hello again fellow MV users!

Offline badmind36

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2019, 04:08:07 pm »
Thanks again for the tips in here guys, just did the Noctua myself and it's working great! But, like the idiot I am, I put one of the hex screws in the wrong hole for the power cover and stripped the damn thing, so I'm waiting on an extractor set to come in the mail before I can close her all back up again lol... at least I didn't mess up the important part! LOL