Author Topic: Mike Acosta - MPC style COSM effect on MV master out  (Read 2706 times)

Offline truzenzuzix

• View Profile
Mike Acosta - MPC style COSM effect on MV master out
« on: August 03, 2018, 07:54:06 pm »
Hey crew,

In the MV ADSR gear chat You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login (can't find the exact spot) Mike mentions that some MPC heads were saying that drums don't "snap" as hard out of the MV. He then says that the MPC has built in EQ on the master out which gives it that extra oomph, and he then put some kind of EQ COSM effect on the MV master out to give it the same thump. Before he can explain further, the other dude in the video cuts him off!!

I'm A/B testing my MPC4K against my MV and the 4K really does sound a lot punchier with the default settings. But once I start playing with COSM effects the MV really comes alive.

Does anyone have any ideas on what that COSM effect / settings Mike was talking about?
« Last Edit: August 03, 2018, 07:57:16 pm by truzenzuzix »
MV noob

Offline truzenzuzix

• View Profile
Re: Mike Acosta - MPC style COSM effect on MV master out
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2018, 03:54:37 am »
I run both machines into a VS2400CD. If I add compression and EQ to the MV channel it definitely brings it closer to the MPC4k.                                                                                               And the MV smokes my MPC2500.

Offline the PMO

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2018, 06:34:25 pm »
I rewatched this over the weekend and,the part you are referring to is towards the end of the video. From what I gather Mike was saying the outs at the converter stage of the MPC had a bump in a certain frequency to begin with that would kick the drums up a notch.

The MFX each have different effect blocks within them. There are 6 that have the 3 band EQ block in them the Center Canceller, St. DYnamics Processor, Reveb & Gate, Stereo Distortion, Vocal Multi, and Voice Transformer. Presumably, you could use any of these by just shutting off the other effect blocks and just using the EQ.

In this case I would recommend the St. Dynamics Processor because it includes a comp/limiter, enhancer, 3band EQ and noise suppressor.

Offline truzenzuzix

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2018, 10:15:30 am »
PMO is on point, adding a St. Dynamics Processor to the main outs plus CRANKING the output levels and adjusting pad sensitivity gets the MV close to the MPC4k punch. The 4K signal seems *loads* hotter than the MV so comparisons are deceiving until you balance the volume levels.

My impression is the 4k has sick defaults but you can dial the MV in with a little work.
MV noob

Offline Waxdat

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2018, 02:29:40 am »

Offline Bakerman

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2018, 07:50:32 am »
I generally use the MFX dynamic processor and the EQ-section to increase the Highend of the MV. The EQ section in the MFX is a world better than the EQ section in the mixer page. Try use the Mixer EQ only to cut low end, do not increase Frequencies - it will low the sound quality.

So far :-).
« Last Edit: October 29, 2018, 07:58:48 am by Bakerman »

Offline Waxdat

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2018, 03:37:19 pm »
Pick a MFX that has an EQ. Should be about 5 or 6 FX that has it. Turn off all FX blocks except the EQ. Turn the EQ output gain up to +12. Set MFX routing to input. Now sample. Your sample will be about 6db louder than normal.

To match the EQ curves of other samplers you can play around with cutting or adding dbs to the bass, mids, and treble.

To get even more bump use the Compressor MFX. It has the EQ in it and you can add the compression block if you want. You can even use the expander block to bring out certain frequencies as well.

Using these methods works really well to tailor your sound when sampling into the MV.

Offline Waxdat

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2018, 05:12:44 pm »
You actually get more than 6db of gain. My MV output was on -9db because it was stuck on optical and I had to initialize but forgot to set it back to 0 dB.

Offline Waxdat

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2018, 01:44:00 pm »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
You actually get more than 6db of gain. My MV output was on -9db because it was stuck on optical and I had to initialize but forgot to set it back to 0 dB.

Offline Bakerman

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2018, 07:54:34 am »
@Waxdat

I'm highly interested in your EQ-settings of the MFX-Block

When you would find "the" EQ setting that brings in the sound identical to the sampling source ... that would be a key changer for me. I (with my own testing) have to find different EQ settings for each sound source.

Offline Waxdat

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2020, 12:06:33 pm »
Damn somehow I missed this but I am constantly experimenting with this technique. Not sure exactly about what you mean in your question.