Author Topic: Realtime record to PATTERN TRACK on MV8000??  (Read 325 times)

Offline Aanon

• View Profile
Realtime record to PATTERN TRACK on MV8000??
« on: August 26, 2021, 06:37:39 am »
I've seen Mike Acosta do realtime record to the PATTERN TRACK on an MV-8800. He showed how it can be done quantized or unquantized.

Has anyone been able to use this same feature on an MV-8000?

I've tried going to the pattern track in SONG MODE and hitting record but nothing happens. SHIFT-REC goes to step recording on the pattern track, and that part works fine but I'd like to have a bit more freedom triggering and recording patterns.

Thanks for any tips you can offer.

p.s. I have software V 3.54 installed.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2021, 06:42:57 am by Aanon »

Offline conecthink

• View Profile
Re: Realtime record to PATTERN TRACK on MV8000??
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2021, 08:06:27 am »
It is not a feature on the MV8000. You would need to do a workaround like resampling your patterns using them in a patch or audio phrase. Which has drawbacks but also upsides. I would use a midipatch probably cause the options it gives you to change the sound(patch settings and partial edit) assign some choke groups, set loop mode forward i believe.. or what you need.. or you could even mix patterns if on different choke groups... etc

edit the quantise options are also better for patches than phrases 
« Last Edit: August 26, 2021, 08:10:25 am by conecthink »

Offline Aanon

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2021, 04:54:05 pm »
Bummer, but thanks conecthink.

I think I'll keep my eyes open for an MV-8800 cause it does sound like a good feature that would allow some really immediate results. I see what you're saying about resampling.

It's a weird thing on the MV-8000 that the only way to get patterns into the pattern track appears to be step recording full-length patterns end to end. Not even event list can be used to insert them (unlike on some other Roland products). BUT once you have some patterns on the track you can shorten them to any desired length (even something like 30 ticks if you like), move them to any position on or off the beat, substitute one pattern for another, copy and paste any size bits of the pattern track...pretty much anything. It's like all the back end functionality is there to work with realtime recording but they just never got around to adding it. So it's supremely powerful but the workflow is a big drag.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2021, 08:41:50 pm by Aanon »

Offline conecthink

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2021, 11:07:23 pm »
you cant choose the length of the pattern you put in with the step record? I thought you could. toggle the number or something 120-240/...960 etc...or there were buttons to click in the step record. Maybe Im just confused with the audio step record though.

but I cant check now.

I actually never tried with my novation circuit as and external sequencer if I could trigger a pattern track and do the thing you want to do.. I realise now that I only checked midi signal coming in to the 'pattern play' section. it doesnt btw. but with a pattern track my intuition is that it should.  that could be an option for you if you have an external sequencer.

Offline Aanon

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2021, 11:23:57 pm »
Yes, I've previously tried that and it is possible to use note events from another sequencer to trigger patterns while the MV is in pattern play mode. You just have to have the right notes coming into the MV on the right channel (might be ch.16, from memory).

Doing it that way, each pattern even keeps its own tempo, so in that sense it's even more flexible than realtime recording to the pattern track in the MV (where different tempos per pattern are ignored).

Still,  it's an extra layer of "gear" to deal with.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2021, 09:39:46 pm by Aanon »