Author Topic: MV without a Monitor and mouse.. missing functions?  (Read 350 times)

Offline SMUDGE

• View Profile
MV without a Monitor and mouse.. missing functions?
« on: July 22, 2021, 05:10:32 pm »

Hey MV gang,
Is there any truth to the claim that there are functions on the MV-8800 that are exclusive to the external monitor & mouse. I'm digging the workflow on the MV again after an absence and now I prefer it without peripherals. I hope I'm not missing out on anything, because standalone (not depending on it to be the MIDI hub of my studio) this thing is TIGHT. Too bad about the sucky FX and infinitely scrolling & therefore useless piano roll though.  ::)
Whaddyall say?

ps Samplekings on Youtube has uploaded their 2 part instructional video for free. It's nuts and bolts but a good refresher for someone like me who's been living in Ableton/MPC land for a while.

Offline 40 Thieves

• View Profile
Re: MV without a Monitor and mouse.. missing functions?
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2021, 01:14:04 am »
I’m pretty sure you have all the same functions without the mouse and monitor. There’s just different ways around everything from the front panel.

Offline ILL GREEN

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2021, 02:36:29 am »
Yeah, nothing special, but you might consider a monitor if the MVs own screen is too small for your eyes.  Just remember 19" is max because any bigger is ColecoVision!

Offline Know1

• OG Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2021, 12:29:47 pm »
Nothing missing. In fact if you know your way around the MV without a mouse, your work flow is probably faster. Once you know the MV this well, if you decide to go back to using a mouse, it will still be faster.

The mouse and vga are convenient and certainly help with getting started. In my opinion you’re more inclined to dig deeper without them though.

Offline Aanon

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2021, 01:41:51 pm »
I'm another one who prefers working without the VGA and mouse. It can be so quick and satisfying once you get enough muscle memory. I'm not aware of any functions missing - though some of them can take a bit of finding the first few times!