Author Topic: Getting from live pattern play to something recorded (in audio or MIDI)  (Read 1977 times)

Offline Aanon

• View Profile
Hey MVers,

On my MV8000 I'm having a great time in the PATTERN LIST view, triggering patterns in realtime from the pads, each pattern keeping its own tempo and time signature. This is amazing - none of my other hardware sequencers will let me do this exactly.

Question is:

How do I capture a live performance of this type on the MV8000? Is it possible, either as audio or as MIDI?

Everything I've tried so far hasn't worked. I can go through and explain in much more detail but I thought I'd just ask the basic question in this first post.

Any input would be much appreciated.

Thanks for reading,

Aanon
« Last Edit: February 14, 2021, 07:51:03 pm by Aanon »

Offline conecthink

• View Profile
Re: Getting from live pattern play to something recorded (in audio or MIDI)
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2021, 12:55:40 am »
the 8800 got some extra patternplay/recording capability.. (unknown to me if it can do specifically what you ask)

but for the 8000 besides tracking out (seems easiest) you could resample every pattern in its own bpm and use them in midipatch or audio phrases with choke groups assigned...with the quantise your on your own then. i  mean you could quantise but you have some things to figure out.. (intuitively id say you could choose your pattern bpms and project bpm/time signature cleverly so the patterns(with different bpm) line up somewhere on the grid and you can one click quantise on some note) not my cup of tea though.

you could also not quantise and fix performances as you see fit... or if keep all patterns the same bpm

but in a midi patch its actually very cool what you could do with the resampled patterns cause now you can use the filters the adsr the delay, reverb the entire partial edit... easily copy out multiple instances of the same patterns with different settings on them.

its more things to figure out though for sure if you go the resampling route. and you will encounter some workflow challenges. for example from dabbling a bit in this area i remember that patterns will 'die out'/the velocity goes down after a while with loopmode set forward and long release. Unless you keep the pad pressed. or renew by hitting again.. but these kind of things make it extra 'live'you could say.

Offline Aanon

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2021, 02:07:16 am »
Thanks conecthink,

Those are clever ideas and not something I would have thought of (coming from some other sequencers that don't have samplers).

If I go the resampling route, I don't mind too much the idea that the resampled patterns I trigger wouldn't end up neatly on a grid -- sometimes I'm doing almost silly rapid cutting back and forth between patterns and the mind boggles just thinking about how it could even possibly be placed on any grid.

Tracking out as multitrack audio from my various sound modules to a tape machine (or DAW basically acting as a tape machine) might also work.

I suppose I could even track out as MIDI to a second MIDI sequencer running at high resolution (unsynced/unquantised) and capture a live performance that way -- although again, of course, any notion of staying on the grid would be lost.

Thanks for the response and the ideas!

« Last Edit: February 15, 2021, 02:10:39 am by Aanon »

Offline Waxdat

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2021, 01:01:11 pm »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Hey MVers,

On my MV8000 I'm having a great time in the PATTERN LIST view, triggering patterns in realtime from the pads, each pattern keeping its own tempo and time signature. This is amazing - none of my other hardware sequencers will let me do this exactly.

Question is:

How do I capture a live performance of this type on the MV8000? Is it possible, either as audio or as MIDI?

Everything I've tried so far hasn't worked. I can go through and explain in much more detail but I thought I'd just ask the basic question in this first post.

Any input would be much appreciated.

Thanks for reading,

Aanon

You could record into a digital recorder like a zoom H5 or the like or if you have the MV8-OP1 you could make your patterns audio tracks and then sample from the digital output into the digital input. I did a video “track out no midi”.

Offline Aanon

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2021, 04:11:25 am »
Thanks for the reply Waxdat. I've enjoyed learning from many of your videos over time.

I've just been thinking about another possibility:

If I could trigger the MV8000 patterns from something external (say my Fantom X6 keyboard) and record the notes (or other MIDI commands) that I'm using to trigger them (say on the Fantom sequencer), then this would give me a way to record and perfectly recreate a live MV8000 pattern performance.

Do you think this could work?

Offline Waxdat

• View Profile
Not sure. I say give it a shot. That’s the only way to know for sure.

Offline Aanon

• View Profile
OK, I can confirm one way to record a realtime performance of MV8000 patterns that retains the tempo and time sig for each pattern.

Basically, use MIDI notes to trigger the patterns on the MV8000 from an external device. At the same time, record the MIDI notes on the sequencer of the external device. Then you can exactly re-trigger your live performance at any time. I used my Yamaha QY700 sequencer to do it. But any external device that has a sequencer and triggers will be ok.

Step by step

• Create various patterns on MV8000 and give each one whatever tempo and time sig you want

Enter pattern list or pattern play mode

Use an external device that has its own sequencer and can send MIDI notes to trigger the MV8000

Setup the MV8000 patterns to respond to whatever MIDI note you intend to send

Set the external device to transmit notes on channel 16

Record the MIDI notes on the external device's sequencer

(Don't lock MIDI clocks between the two devices. Each device runs on its own internal clock.)

(Set the external device to a high tempo for greatest resolution and turn off any quantization)

Some benefits

You get to keep tempo and time sig for each individual pattern [the whole point for me of doing this]

We are only dealing with MIDI so the MV8000 patterns can still be tweaked later, sounds changed etc if you wish

If you wish, you can later track out stems from your live performance one by one to a synced audio recorder

The MIDI recording on the external device can be directly edited to substitute one pattern for another, take out sections, etc

Some downsides

The bars/beats/clock grid on the external sequencer will end up meaning nothing. You'll just have to look at is as a realtime linear recorder for your pattern play performance.

So far it seems patterns will only keep playing as long as you hold down a trigger on the external device. This might not suit some people.

For extra complication

If your external device has a pattern mode, you can even create patterns on it that each trigger a sequence of patterns on the MV8000, and play around with those!

This is probably going to be of very niche interest (maybe just me), but feel free to ask if I can explain anything better.

Aanon
« Last Edit: March 31, 2021, 11:38:48 pm by Aanon »